12/26/2013

I Burn Water

This is a truth post. The truth sometimes hurts and most of us never really like to admit this stuff, but this is already known by some and doesn't hurt at all because I'm okay with it. 

Most know I can't cook and don't even prefer to step into the kitchen. However, I don't think anyone knows how truly awful I am in there. When I step into the kitchen it is like I've crossed the border into a foreign land. All the food, the appliances, pots, pans and utensils - they all speak to one another as I stand there wondering if they are talking about me. "What is she doing here?" "Why does she come back?" " It's really so sad. She has no clue." You'd think my feelings would be hurt, but I know it's true. Unfortunately, to survive, I must suck it up and do it. "She can't be THAT bad!" - I hear you saying. Well, to that I say - if I can burn water, it's THAT bad. 

I like tea and drink it often. I used to just heat the water in a pan on the stove. I kept forgetting that I had ever gone into the kitchen in the first place until I'd smell my pan burning. I thought I could solve that by buying a tea pot, which I've wanted forever but could never find one cute enough to purchase. I decided to just get one regardless of looks so I could just heat some stinkin' water! So I did. And I was happy. 

This weekend as I was home alone on Christmas Day (Ryiah is with her dad), I put a pot of water on with anticipation of enjoying a hot cup of deliciousness. As I was snuggled up relaxing I started to smell the "oh crap - I forgot I had water on" smell! I jumped up to see smoke in my kitchen and hear my tea pot sizzling.  
I had once again forgotten I had entered what should be considered "forbidden territory" to me. My tea pot almost caught fire! Apparently I forgot to put the little flap deal down on the spout so the stinkin' thing never whistled it's happy "Nicole - I'm reminding you that you have started something in the kitchen because you can't remember it all by yourself" tune. My place, a day later, still reaks of a girl that doesn't belong in the kitchen. 
This copper looking tea pot used to be pretty, shiny and silver. The bottom is burnt to a crisp. R.I.P. my first ever tea pot. 

So it stands - I do not belong in there, the kitchen. I don't even desire to almost sort of want to consider trying to think about being in there! If I ever find someone that is up for the task (I should add just to clarify that he also needs to be: good looking, trustworthy, hilarious, and awesome) - I'll marry him. 

2 comments:

  1. Nic, I have an electric kettle which is nothing short of amazing. Use it for tea or hot cocoa and on those cold mornings when the kids want oatmeal, it takes little time to heat up the water. Think my parents got it for me at Costco, but they are probably available other places as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electric, eh? I'll have to look into that! Never thought of that before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete